Fear of Failure


I grew up where buying clothes was a rare opportunity. I lived in a small town in South Africa, Hennenman and at that time we had but two clothing stores. Most people had clothing made. My mom was an amazing seamstress....My mom let me choose fabric and make my very own dress. We cut out the pattern and then started the sewing process.

This semester I taught a enriched and academic science class. During the optics unit we calculated the mirror equation and used snell's law. I was shocked at the math ability of students. Simply dividing and finding common multiples.  They had a difficult time rearranging equations and solving for an unknown variable. These are good intelligent kids. But in all honesty their math skills are weak. After a one on one session with a students I asked them how they felt about math. They said it's just not their thing. I added "yet". Learning is a mindset. I explained to the students that to not think of it as an end. Think of it as a beginning of a journey where they will become their best teacher. They unanimously wished that there was a course they could take that would make them better, but they didn't want to earn marks, they just needed to get better.

If this was an ill patient, there would be a remedy. Solving math might not be as easy as a prescription drug. However practice and hard work might be the remedy. The problem I found is this is a tough pill to swallow for students who lack resilience, patients and determination.  I know that students wouldn't volunteer to sign up for a math help class. They would be judged and categorized by their peers. Is there a way that we could lead these students to success anonymously. A set of self help videos for all students who struggle. Taught by teachers students know and can relate to. Encouraging students to download math flash cards with simple multiplication. A caring adult who can support their learning and encouraging them to keep going.

I was encouraged by this article by Lisa Marchiano where she investigates the psychology of victimhood culture. It is an amazing read one quote stuck with me:
          "Essentially, such adaptations to anxiety cultivate an external locus of control, teaching young people that they are not capable of handling challenge, and encouraging them to believe that the world around them ought to be altered to meet their needs."

Yes I did sew my fingers to cloth with my mom watching in horror. Did we both survive yes. Do we need to give kids more freedom to create and fail yes. (Hoping no kids would physically harm themselves). However my love for sewing resonates from failure. From learning to follow directions, practice, be organized and be Determined to do it better next time.They need to realize that hard work is the price for success part of their control. With hard work comes times that you will fail. Reevaluate and stick to your belief.

References:


1. Collision with Reality: What Depth Psychology Can Tell us About Victimhood Culture
http://quillette.com/2017/12/27/collision-reality-depth-psychology-can-tell-us-victimhood-culture/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triple blog post prompt

Innovator's Mind Set...in the begining

A Brand New school #IMMOOC